Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Module 5 - Poems for Two Voices

Bibliographic Citation

Hoberman, Mary Ann. 2005. You read to me, I’ll read to you: very short stories to read together. Ill. by Michael Emberley. New York: Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 9780316013161.

Review

Mary Hoberman creates twelve playful short-story rhymes for two voices to share. The color-coded texts of the couplets and quatrains show the specific lines each reader should read in pink or purple along with the blue text which calls for reading in unison. The poems cover topics from mice and cats to snowmen and snakes to talking on the telephone. These poems are sure to spare some friendly reading duels between friends as they share these delightful short stories. Emberley’s ballpoint pen and watercolor illustrations are nice companions to each page that will be sure to capture young reader’s attention.

Poem Title

“I Like”

"I like soda.
I like milk.
I like satin.
I like silk.
I like puppies.
I like kittens.
I like gloves.
And I like mittens.
I like apples.
I like pears.
I like tigers.
I like bears.
I like to slide.
I like to swing.
We don’t agree
On anything!......."

Introduction or Follow-up Activity

Mary Hoberman’s collection of “You Read to Me, I’ll Read to You” books are great for young readers. I would recommend using these books with first grade students and modeling how to read the poems with two voices by actually having the class split into two section and having each section read a color. After using this method to model the process for the whole class, I would divide the students into partners and pass out the books so they could enjoy reading the short stories together. Later, I would show the class that many poems can be read in parts even though they are not printed with two different colors of ink. I would pull some books from the poetry shelf and use a document camera to model reading a poem with two voices that is not color-coded. I would encourage the students to find a book of poetry they could share with their reading partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment