Thursday, April 21, 2011

Module 6 - Naomi Shihab Nye

Bibliographic Citation

Nye, Naomi Shihab. 2005. A maze me: Poems for girls. Ill. by Terre Maher. New York: Greenwillow Books. ISBN 9780060581893.

Review

Nye pens her collection of 72 free verse poems to capture the attention of girls, especially girls who are transitioning into adolescence. The collection is neatly arranged in five sections representing the author’s own transition into adolescence. Many topics relating to the lives of girls are contained in this compact book. Worries that creep into the minds of young girls, and thrills such as a first crush are also included. “In the School Cafeteria…Your face makes me feel like a lighthouse/beaming across waves./We don’t even know one another./yet each day I am looking for your face./Walking slowly among tables, I balance my tray,/glancing to the side./You’re not here today./Are you sick?/… "

Poem Title

“Changed”

They said something mean about me
and didn’t notice it was mean.

So my heart wandered
into the rainy night without them
and found a canopy
to hide under.

My eyes started
seeing through things.
Like gauze.
Old self through new self.
My flexible body
went backwards
and forwards
in time.

It’s hard to describe but true:
I grew another head
with better ideas
inside my old head.

Introduction or Follow-up Activity

This book of poetry would be a perfect fit for a “Chat & Chew” lunch group book discussion time with a group of middle school-aged girls. The “Chat & Chew” format is one that is informal where students feel they have a safe environment where they are able to discuss their true feelings about books they are currently reading as a book club. Poetry has the ability to evoke many emotions for readers. Students who are encountering the transition into adolescence will surely find themselves in many of these poems. By understanding that others have had some of the same experiences, they will have the opportunity to develop an understanding of their feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment