Thursday, April 21, 2011

Module 6 - Paul Janeczko


Bibliographic Citation

Janeczko, Paul B. 2001. Dirty laundry pile: Poems in different voices. Ill. by Melissa Sweet. NewYork: HarperCollins Publishers. ISBN 9780688162511.

Review


Janeczko’s collection of 27 poems written in a variety of formats highlights animals, trees, crayons, and even clothing. These persona poems bring life to inanimate objects in a manner in which the reader may learn a new characteristic or develop a new perspective. “Crayon Dance…The cardboard ceiling lifts/Pickmepickmepickme, I pray/ The fingers do! They choose me, Sky Blue!/Hurrah! Hooray!/ As I am picked from the pocket/All colors whisper, “Good-bye, Pastel!/Be strong! Don’t break!/Enjoy! Farewell!”/… This selection will surely spark new feelings in students when they reach for their box of crayons. Sweet’s watercolor illustrations in full-page and double-page spreads add another layer of life to each poem. A wonderful book to use with older elementary students who are developing the skill of personification.

Poem Title

“The Vacuum Cleaner’s Revenge”
By Patricia Hubbell

I munch. I crunch.
I zoom. I roar.

I clatter-clack
Across the floor.

I swallow twigs.
I slurp dead bugs.

I suck the cat hair
From the rugs.

My stomach full
Of dirt and dust

I gulp another
Pizza crust.

A tiresome life-
All work, no play-

I think I’ll swallow you today!

Introduction or Follow-up Activity


This book of poetry would be an excellent tool to use for a collaborative teaching unit with classroom teachers who are focusing on the skill of personification. As an introduction to the lesson, I would gather some of the items that are featured in the book and have them on display for the students. After asking the students what each of the items have in common, I would then read the corresponding poems. After hearing a few selections the students will realize each item has its own voice. The teacher and I would explain that personification is giving voice to objects and we would then ask students to put on “the mask” that Janeczko refers to in his book, and select a new item in the room and write a poem. We would invite students to share their work with the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment